Nearing the critical 72 hour mark, investigators are fanning out across Southern California to follow nearly 100 leads on where a pair of kidnappers may be hiding with 3-year-old Briant Rodriguez.

Rosalina Millan spent five hours with sketch artists Tuesday, drawing on painful memories to help compose pictures of the two men suspected of tying up her and her youngest five children Sunday afternoon before abducting the boy.

No new information surfaced Tuesday, though detectives emphasized that Briant’s parents are not suspects.

Millan, with news cameras following her every step, made a desperate plea for her son’s safe return.

“Please, I’m asking them to release my son. Give him back to

me,” she said through sobs. “Why did they take him? Let him go. Don’t harm my boy. My boy, my life. He’s a good boy.”

She paused at a blown-up photograph of Briant, placing her hand longingly over the boy’s face as a fresh torrent of tears overcame her.

More than 80 tips have been called into the Amber Alert hotline and investigators have fielded another dozen or so calls. About half have been worth following up on, said sheriff’s Lt. Rick Ells.

No leads have yet taken detectives to Mexico, where the kidnappers told Millan that they were going to take Briant and kill him.

“Every second that goes by for us is critical,” said Sgt. Doug Hubbard, who is overseeing the investigation. “We’re treating each bit of information like it’s the first minute we received the call.”

Briant was abducted at 2:30 p.m. Sunday as his mother prepared to take him and four of his siblings to the park. The kidnappers, believed to be between the ages of 18 and 24, walked through the open front door and held the family at gunpoint while ransacking the house.

They took a small amount of money, a cell phone and Briant. Detectives said it is “very concerning” that there has been no contact with the kidnappers.

Briant’s family on Tuesday asked that news reporters give them some privacy at their modest home on the corner of Pedley Road and Fifth Street.

Since the kidnappers took Millan’s cell phone, a house visit may be the only avenue for contact with the men who abducted Briant.

Sheriff Rod Hoops said that investigators are working around the clock with the assistance of the FBI, Border Patrol and the California Highway Patrol.

“It’s kind of a baffling case but I can assure you we are not holding back resources on this,” he said during an afternoon briefing at sheriff’s headquarters.

Detectives declined to say whether they are tracking Millan’s cell phone.

The motive for the abduction remained unclear Tuesday and no information was immediately available on the people who previously lived in the family’s home. Millan, her husband and their six children have only lived in the home about three months.

Less than 200 stranger abductions nationwide are reported annually, according to the FBI.

Millan denied Tuesday that the family was involved in any illegal activity and said she did not know why anyone would take her baby.

She clutched his blue and white T-shirt to her chest Tuesday as she begged for the public’s help in finding Briant, occasionally wiping her tears with the shirt.

“They may cut his hair but my boy’s face will stay the same,” Millan said.
Why would the kidnappers tell the family that they were going to take the boy to Mexico? Who kidnaps a child and then basically tells the police where to look for them. This case makes no sense unless the family is leaving something out.

source

Advertisements