George and Cindy Anthony will not face charges stemming from an incident last week in which two St. Cloud women said they were chased by the couple.

The June 1 incident was investigated by detectives from the Orange County Sheriff’s Office who determined no criminal violations occurred, said Sheriff’s Sgt. Susan Soto.

The women told deputies they were chased by the couple after they caught Cindy Anthony removing a cross left at the former site of a memorial to the couple’s dead granddaughter, Caylee.

The Anthonys’ daughter, Casey Anthony, 23, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of her daughter, Caylee. The toddler’s remains were found on the Suburban Drive property, less than a mile from the Anthony home.

Lois Peter, 56, said she went to the site on Suburban Drive with her 13-year-old granddaughter and two friends to find out who was removing crosses they had left days earlier.

Peter could not be reached for comment Monday.

About 8:30 that night, Peter and her granddaughter left a cross and then watched. Their visit to the area followed news account about the former makeshift memorial being removed recently. No one has claimed responsibility for removing the items.

Several hours after placing the cross, Peter and her granddaughter they noticed the Anthonys’ friend, Dennis Milstead of Kid Finders Network, driving up and down the road.

They moved their car, and Milstead followed them, Peter said. The brief pursuit ended when the women drove out of the neighborhood.

But they returned to the area, Peter said, and they saw Cindy Anthony putting something into the trunk of her car, which was being driven by George Anthony. The cross was gone.

One of the women snapped a picture and the chase — involving Milstead and the Anthonys — began, Peter said.

The Anthonys’ attorney Brad Conway said the car was driving around the neighborhood suspiciously, with the lights off and that George Anthony got out of his car to tell the others they needed to stop and he was going to call police. Conway said George Anthony was nearly run over by the other car.